Star bar

Pub 60. The Star, 29th April 2012


A lovely old building tucked out of the way, it can't be easy to make the Star work. But thankfully someone is trying hard. If it weren't the large table of chatty Sunday afternoon snacking loungers+toddlers and one other quiet couple it would've been empty. So make a note if you fancy a quiet pint.


There were only 2 ales on, Timmy Taylor's Landlord and one end of the bar and Sharp's Doom Bar at the other. As I sat in front of the Landlord I went for a glass of that. And boy... was it cool. Very cool. Positively chilled! The coldest ale I'd for a long while, even chiller than the chilled ales in the Hawley Arms.  I can't remember now how much it was, but it wasn't cheap. £1.85? The barman was very friendly - his directions to the loo were detailed and extensive to say the least!, but I didn't mention the temperature of the beer. Apart from that it was very quaffable. The slate top on the bar was annoying though.


It's a big pub, and felt big. There's nowhere to hide! I'm not a fan of one-big-room pubs, where are the partitions, little rooms, saloon bar & lounges? I bet when it does get busy here with all the bar wood and big windows it gets very noisy.

Pork or venison?

There's not much more to say about the Star. It's ok, and I do hope the locals appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment