If the hat fits...

Pub 31. Ye Olde Mitre, 7th March 2012


There's only one pub in the Borough that not only didn't used to be in the Borough (or earlier pre-Camden Boroughs) but didn't even used to be in London. Sort of. As any amateur pub local historian will tell you - and tell you better than I can - for reasons to do with the Bishop of Ely, Queen Elizabeth, a garden wall, a cherry tree and Sir Christopher Hatton the tavern and its surroundings used to be part of the Diocese of Cambridgeshire. Famously not even the local police had jurisdiction here and ne'er-do-wells and rapscallions could merely leg if down Ely Court to evade capture. Although the police could sit and wait until he came out, but with a tavern down there that might be some time. And I believe that even upto the 1960s or 70s the licence here was still granted by Cambridge magistrates.

The first time I came here the Mitre's mitre was broken and it took
me a little while to find the place. Another reason to like it.

Beers & Ales >>----->  This way from Hatton Garden! A quick aside on Hatton Garden... I do like walking through this area, although I'm not likely to ever buy anything from here. If I do ever wed it'll be the kind of girl that doesn't mind a quality piece of Elizabeth Duke - but I digress from my digression. There's not many areas of London now that are dominated by one trade, sadly. Hatton Garden is a little wonderful throwback to localism in a self-contained city. I hope it never goes the same as Fleet Street.

(Rebuilt in 1778 though)
A prize to anyone who knows how to pronounce 'ye'.


Not only is its surroundings like a step back, but the pub is too. Not quite as far as the pub sign suggests, but a step back to a time when pubs were nice, relaxing places. The Mitre has one my favourite things in a pub - NO music! I do really like steps back in time.
The range of ales are fine indeed. I settled for a pint of the Seafarer's at £3.30. And a pork-pie for £1.70 - I think. The food here is good pub food. Small, simple, tasty and filling. Pubs that smell of gravy and vinegar doth annoy me so. 

The lounge

There's really not much not to dislike about this pub. Couples and a small groups of friends sitting around having a quite chat. (People say music in pubs is so conversations aren't overheard, but in a quiet pub one can talk quietly, so only the intended recipient can / has to hear. There's no need SHOUT when there's no music. By music I mean jukebox type rackets.) A local was chatting football chat to the chap behind the lounge bar - whom I assume was landlord. Later another chap came in the saloon bar and more footie chat went on across the bars. The barmaid asked him if some drunk lady who was in him the other night got home ok. It is always nice to have locals in pubs, and to have the staff know them. Another important - nay, vital! - ingredient in a good pub.

Much laughter coming from the Ye Closet. Nice.
This pub is what any pub should really be - a place for all occasions. Booze and a laugh with your mates, a quiet drink and a book, a date or a lunch-time sit down with your folks. I have done all these things on at least one occasion.

Saloon
I do like the place a lot. The loos are outside - where they should be! And although it's on the tourist trail, it's just not for tourists. Like many boozers round here it's not open on weekends - and I think it shuts at 9.30pm in the week. A licensing requirement of old (olde?) or just because everyone wants to go to bed? Either way, not a bad thing.


The sign about the bar hatch says "Always say hello or hi / Remember to say goodbye", or words to that effect. A nice touch - although should people need telling. No-one said goodbye to me when I left though, but not to worry. I shall be back - and back many more times. One of best pubs in Borough, in London - and indeed in the whole south of England.

No comments:

Post a Comment